Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Duration: Approximately 6 months (may be eligible for permanent hire)
Location: Midwest, USA
Reporting to the CFO of this government hospital, the Controller is responsible for the day to day management and oversight of the Cash Management, Payroll, Accounts Payable, General Accounting and Budgeting functions. The Controller serves as a resource for other Hospital departments for financial questions.
The Controller serves as the hospital’s point of contact for Corporate & outside agencies (regulatory, reimbursement, etc.). He or she is responsible for the financial and statistical reporting for the hospital and all associated facilities. This includes preparation and accuracy of the financial statements, audit reports and statistical reports for both internal and external users.
- Assures hospital compliance with federal, state and local government laws and regulations, accrediting agency standards ad hospital policies and procedures rules and regulations.
- Prepares financial feasibility analyses for capital projects, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Maintains cost accounting system by service line.
- Maintains general ledger, is responsible for monthly closing activities and ensures audit adjustments are minimized.
- Maintains and utilizes specialized knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and practices.
- In coordination with hospital departments and administrators, oversees and manages the annual budget process and conducts regular budget reviews throughout the year.
- Reviews and provides logical explanations for monthly, quarterly, and annual variances in general ledger accounts and hospital statistics.
- Acts as liaison with external stakeholders in providing required financial reports, information and financial guidance.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- B.S. In Accounting required, CPA preferred.
- 8 or more years of progressive career experience In Hospital Finance/Accounting.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience and proficiency in preparation of consolidated financial statements.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit including Research Accounting (preferred).
- Strong analytic skills, critical thinking and proven ability to solve complex problems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Manage time effectively, with ability to manage multiple tasks, processes and systems.
- In-depth knowledge of current trends and developments In Healthcare reform and other Federal programs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate the financial condition of the hospital to the CFO and other members of hospital leadership.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with hospital Financial Reporting, Revenue Cycle Management, Accounting, Budgeting, Accounts Payable, Treasury, Audit, Tax, Payroll, Information Technology and Materials Management.
- Experience in leading and managing projects which are under the purview of this position.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience